One day death will knock and what will be our direction? Will you be caught by surprise or will you know your direction. Read the last words of some who were not prepared.Cardinal Borgia: “I have provided in the course of my life for everything except death, and now, alas, I am to die unprepared.” Elizabeth the First: “All my possessions for one moment of time.” Thomas Hobbs: “I am about to take my last voyage, a great leap in the dark.” Socrates: “All of the wisdom of this world is but a tiny raft upon which we must set sail when we leave this earth. If only there was a firmer foundation upon which to sail, perhaps some divine word.” Phillip III, King of France: “What an account I shall have to give to God! How I should like to live otherwise than I have lived.” Voltaire: “I am abandoned by God and man! I will give you half of what I am worth if you will give me six months’ life…Then I shall go to hell; and you will go with me. O Christ! O Jesus Christ!”
How sad to be at that point and truly “leap in the dark” without knowing where you will land. We know from the Bible that “This is the promise that he hath promised us, even eternal life” (1 John 2:25). Look through the following verses and enjoy the comfort of knowing that eternal life is not a myth. It is a promise of God!
- Job 19:26-27 And though after my skin worms destroy this body, Yet in my flesh shall I see God: Whom I shall see for myself, And mine eyes shall behold, and not another; Though my reins be consumed within me.
- Psalm 16:10 For thou wilt not leave my soul in hell; Neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption.
- Isaiah 26:19 Thy dead men shall live, Together with my dead body shall they arise. Awake and sing, ye that dwell in dust: For thy dew is as the dew of herbs, And the earth shall cast out the dead.
- Daniel 12:2 And many of them that sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake, some to everlasting life, and some to shame and everlasting contempt.
- Luke 20:35-36 But they which shall be accounted worthy to obtain that world, and the resurrection from the dead, neither marry, nor are given in marriage: Neither can they die any more: for they are equal unto the angels; and are the children of God, being the children of the resurrection.
- John 5:28-29 Marvel not at this: for the hour is coming, in the which all that are in the graves shall hear his voice, And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation.
- John 6:40, 47 And this is the will of him that sent me, that every one which seeth the Son, and believeth on him, may have everlasting life: and I will raise him up at the last day. Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me hath everlasting life.
- John 10:28 And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.
- John 11:25-26 Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live: And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die. Believest thou this?
- Romans 6:23 For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.
- Romans 8:11 But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you.
- 1 Corinthians 15:51-54 Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed, In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed. For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality. So when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and this mortal shall have put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory.
- 1 Thessalonians 4:16 For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first:
- 2 Timothy 1:10 But is now made manifest by the appearing of our Saviour Jesus Christ, who hath abolished death, and hath brought life and immortality to light through the gospel:
- 1 John 5:11, 13 And this is the record, that God hath given to us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God.
Revelation 21:4 And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.
*Hewitt, James S. Illustrations Unlimited. Tyndale House Publishers, Inc. Wheaton, Ill., 1972: p. 173